Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Plumbing

I swear I sometimes feel like a jack of all trades-master of none!  Our garbage disposal hasn't been working for a few days (just gives us a dull hum when we hit the button) and I keep forgetting to call the home warranty people about it.  Today it was so stinky that I had to call.  

Home warranty guy:  Did you hit the red reset button?
Me:  Huh?  What reset button?  
Home warranty guy:  There's a red reset button on the bottom.  Try pushing it.
Me:  Oh, ok.  I never knew a garbage disposal had a reset button.  Hang on.

I hit the red reset button and now nothing at all happens.  No hum.  Nada.  

Me:  Crap.  (then I get back on the phone)
Me:  Nope.  Didn't work.  Now there's not even a hum.
Home warranty guy:  Ok, the plumber will call you within 24 hours and come fix it.  That'll be $50.
Me: Ok (thinking "oh crap, FIFTY bucks (!), but better than $100 for a new one plus another $100 for somebody to install it)

I decided to Google "garbage disposal reset button" and found this site:  http://www.expertvillage.com/video/52_garbage-disposal-repair.htm

I fixed the problem with a simple twist of an allen wrench.  My, my...what shall I accomplish next?  Maybe I'll tackle installing a new ceiling fan.  ;)

No comments: